Monday, March 28, 2011

Quickie Pesto Pasta for a Hairy Night

Now, I know when I say the word "quickie" you are automatically going to think something sexy is happening in my kitchen....may I remind you that this is the 'Dietitian's Kitchen' which upholds high standards of cleanliness and decorum. :) 

Speaking of cleanliness, our sons are getting to the age where they are becoming proud of their ability to put on muscle mass. They admire their muscles in the living room mirror which can be seen from a nice vantage point in the dining room. When this happens I feel this internal surge of anxiety of an ensuing conflict - and can hear my father's voice to my teenage brother Harry, who was/is very hairy, "Harry, go get a shirt on!!"  NO ONE was allowed to walk around without a shirt on, especially near the kitchen - it would not matter if you were the queen.

So even though our boys are not yet hairy like Uncle Harry - I will not accept this shirtllessness in the kitchen/dining area....

Speaking of hairy, we had a hairy night on Wednesday so I turned to one of my favourite quickie meals at 6:55 P.M.




 Pesto Pasta With Broccoli and Chicken

Whole wheat Pasta
Broccoli
Pesto
Cooked chicken breast, cubed
Parmesan Cheese
Pepper



Add dry whole wheat pasta to lightly salted boiling water.

Approximately 5-6 minutes before it is done, throw some cleaned, cut broccoli florets and stems on top to steam.




To thin your pesto a little, you can use some of the pasta water. I had pesto in the freezer from last fall - You can use store-bought pesto if needed.


Drain the pasta and broccoli in a colander and put back into pot. Stir in lots of pesto and some cooked, cubed chicken breast.

 



Top with some freshly ground pepper and parmesan and serve with a salad!



It will be on the table in about 20-25 minutes!
 


 Watching my boys turn into men is fascinating, and sad at the same time - it goes by so fast that you want to turn back the clock and see them toddling around again asking for a cuddle- even just for an hour
I guess, in my mind, they will always be my little boys - even with muscles and....hairy chests...

" Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
                                                                                                      -Robert Brault (writer)
"I NEED A HAIRCUT!"
                                                                                                      

1 comment:

  1. This looks lovely! A healthy, delicious quickie meal! thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete